Darlene Patterson Margaret Pilchar
Falcon Lake Ladies Golf Association
July 3rd, 2018
Minutes were approved by Brenda Burch
Second by Christine Ross
Message from the President – Susan Stanley
The meeting took place at Dar Patterson’s cottage on Falcon Lake. Thanks, Dar, for offering your cottage to hold our meeting. So good to reunite with everyone once again.
A big thank you to Dar Patterson and her mother, Ruth who went out of their way to prepare a fabulous lunch. And thank you to Russ Patterson for donating the delicious ribs. They were fabulous. Dar and Ruth, your culinary efforts were greatly appreciated. It is always great fun to eat and chat away the afternoon with such great people.
Susan gave a big welcome to our eight new members. Just a reminder that that goals of the FLLGA is to have fun.
Susan also sent a big thank you to the Ladies Classic volunteers.
Susan reminded all members to check for FLLGA updates on our new website as well as on Facebook.
Message from the Vice President – Colleen Barnes-West
Colleen sent a big welcome out to our 8 new members.
The vice president will now take on the responsibility of sending cards.
Secretary Report – Janet Potter
- The most recent email list was completed on July 3rd, 2018 and was emailed out to members.
- Please review; email revisions to Janet Potter (email@example.com).
- Reminder: save new address lists to your computer; delete all old email lists.
- For the time being, updated addresses and meeting minutes will be emailed to members soon after each meeting.
Sport’s Captain Report – Dawna Wallace; Tracy Evan
- Dawna Wallace is the new Sports Captain. She is in the process of learning the role. Thank you to Tracy for her support.
- Reminder that August 14this the club championship and August 28this the closing luncheon.
- Six tee times are reserved each week for our league. Summer t-times will start at about 8:30 AM.
- Players are encouraged to sign up by 4:00 on Sunday afternoon.
- The general public will not be allowed to sign up using our website. Any member can request space for a guest prior to the Sunday deadline. If there is room, the guest’s name will be posted.
How to sign up for golf:
- Go to https://falconladiesleague.com(the member’s password is falconladies2017). Bookmark this to your computer.
- Go to Tee Times.
- Then Sign-up Sheets
- Insert your name., etc.
- All tee time requests must be on the website by Sunday, 4:00 PM. If you are signing up late, text or email Sports Captain.
- Tee times will be posted on the website by Monday 4:00 PM.
- Call pro-shop to cancel.
- If you have trouble signing up, text or email Sports Captain.
Clinics with Jeff:
- A putting clinic was held on July 31st, 2018 after our regular golf game. Due to popular demand, Jeff conducted 2 classes (back to back) in order to accommodate all. Thank you, Jeff. These classes are very popular and very helpful.
- The sports captains will continue to arrange a variety of mini tournaments each week.
All teams are required to hand their team’s score card in to the pro-shop. Please ensure the name of each person in the group is recorded on the card, as well as the date. We are presently working on an on-line score card where people will eventually record their scores. These scores will be used to determine prizes.
- Birdies, chip-ins and hole- in-ones: There is a bar at the bottom of the website sign-in sheet that allows you to record your birdies, chip-ins and hole-in-ones. Don’t forget to make note of these items in this section. You never know – a prize could be waiting for you at the August luncheon!!!!
- Ringer board: There is a bar at the bottom of the website sign-in sheet that allows you to record your ringer board scores. Don’t forget to make note of your scores in this section.
Ringer Board directions:
- Enter your name on a blank section on the ringer board page.
- Enter your scores from your first game of the season played at Falcon Lake in the top line.
- Each time you improve your score on any one of the 18 holes, re-enter your new lower score in the line below.
- The purpose is to track improvement over the course of the season. There will be a prize for the most improved player. You could be the lucky winner!!
- Please keep your handicap up-to-date on-line in order that we have accurate data for tournaments. We appreciate your cooperation.
- In an effort to keep the pace of play, new members will be paired with good players when possible.
Remember: Pace of Play
Good pace of play equates to a higher degree of golf enjoyment for everyone. How can we maintain a good pace of play?
- Play ready golf at the tee, on the fairway and on the green. Be ready to step up to your ball immediately after the last player has hit their ball.
- Think about what club you might use as you are walking up to your ball.
- Do one practice swing before hitting your ball. All other practice swings should be done prior to your turn.
- As a general rule of thumb, a typical game should take approximately 4 hours or faster.
- Encourage each member of your group to keep up with the group ahead. In a perfect world, your group should be at least ½ way down a longer fairway, soon to do their approach shot, as the last group leaves the green.
- If your team is falling behind, the first people to finish putting should head to the next tee and hit their balls while the latter team members finish off their putts. This speeds up play tremendously.
- Remember: if every player takes an extra 15 seconds (to get to their ball, hit their ball or choose a club), a whole minute is wasted per hole …… resulting in 18 additional minutes added to the game …… delaying each group behind you 18+ minutes. And that is how the course gets backed up. We ask for your consideration.
Treasurer’s Report – Christine Ross
- We had 31 members in 2017. We have 30 members in 2018.
- Thank you to Colleen Barnes-West for preparing the “new members” package available to new members as they joined the group.
- Congratulations to Sandy Handhammer who won the early bird draw (paying golf fees on or before June 3rd, 2018). Sandy won a one hour lesson from Jeff plus a driving range pass.
Social Committee Report – Dar Paterson; Margaret Pilchar
- The social committee will now collect $10.00/person for all luncheons. There will be a collection bowl at each luncheon. Members are asked to leave their cash in the bowl and sign their name on the accompanying sheet. Any excess money will be put toward the next luncheon. Fees will be adjusted as the need arises. The social committee will put aside a reserve of $80.00 in August for start-up in July of the following year.
- August 28, 2018 – golf luncheon (mark your calendars now). Location: could possibly be at the new golf course; social committee will arrange.
Ladies Classic/Golf for the Cure:
- The Classic made $18,865.00 this year.
- Evelyn would like to thank all the volunteers and those who made donations.
- The committee will meet in the fall to discuss other possible charities. Please bring suggestions to Evelyn at the next meeting. Susan Stanley, Evelyn Proceviatand Jackie McIvor will review and make a decision by October/2018.
FYI, the classic:
- Is RCGA sanctioned.
- Is put on by the pro-shop.
- Has always been on the 1stweekend in June.
- Needs more corporate sponsorship.
Falcon Lake Ladies Sewer Lid
Look for more information on the 42nd Annual Sewer Lid golf tournament in September, 2018.
- This tournament has been running for 41 years.
- The men ran a tournament called the Septic Tank Tournament which has now become defunked.
- The local ladies decided to have a tournament and call it the Sewer Lid.
Website Manager: Darlene Mulligan
- Darlene suggests that all members make sure they are signed up to follow the blog by email. See directions below.
- For the time being, newsletters and meeting minutes will be emailed to members as well as be placed on the website. Eventually (in possibly 1-2 years), the emailed version will be phased out. Darlene will support the learning process.
- There is a calendar on the website with up-coming events e.g. tournaments, golf clinics, etc.
Getting onto the Facebook Blog:
- Click on this address – https://www.facebook.com/falconlakemanitoba/
- OR go to:
- https://falconladiesleague.com(the member’s password is falconladies2017).
- Scroll down to Follow Blog via Email (right hand side; just right of the green Membership Fees).
- Enter your email address (may not need to do this step everytime).
- Click on Follow; they will send an email back to you to confirm; press Confirm; you will then get updates.
July, 2018 Written by Janet Potter